The maintenance of conveyor systemAlphaConveyor
A conveyor system allows the quick transportation of a wide variety of heavy materials which make them an integral part in packaging and material handling industries. They are also in great demand at airports and supermarkets for transportation of luggage and for bag delivery to customers. There are many types of conveyor systems available, one should select it according to the use. Chain conveyors are used widely in automobile industries for the easy assembling of automobiles.
Tips for the maintenance of conveyor system:
Conveyor systems are used in different type of industries such as Mining, automobile, computer, aerospace, pharmaceuticals, packaging and the list goes on. Some of the uses of conveyor systems are:
- Reduces the time and the human force required for the transportation of heavy materials.
- It improves the overall efficiency and productivity of the industry.
Reduces the loss due to human injury, since the hard tasks are performed by the machinery.
MAIN PROBLEMS FACED BY THE CONVEYOR SYSTEMS:
To increase the productivity of conveyor systems one should choose the right conveyor type, the right system design and give regular maintenance to it. To provide proper maintenance, one should recognize the main problems faced by the conveyor system, they are:
- Poor take-up adjustment: The chain take-up system should be tight, if wear occurs on the chain the take-up will have less effect. If timely adjustments are not done on the chain it will lead to inverse effects.
- Lubrication: For the proper working of the machine, the chain bearing has to be lubricated often. Failure of lubrication will lead to mechanical and electrical overload.
- Contamination: Some of the major contaminants are: paint, abrasives, glass, beads, acid, alkaline etc. These contaminants lead to rapid deterioration of track and chain.
- Product handling: The material that is transported on the conveyor should be checked before placing on the system, it should be of the correct size and weight.
- Belt tracking: The system uses a lot of belts like sorter belts, regular inspections should be taken for the maintenance of these belts. Timing is also important as mistiming will lead to the collision of products.
FOR THE PROPER MAINTENANCE:
The following things should be kept in mind for proper maintenance of conveyor system:
- Maintenance technician: A proper technician should be hired, a person who knows his trade.
- Spare parts: If any part of the machine is not working properly, replace it with a proper spare part.
- Preventive maintenance: Regular inspection of the machine will lead to knowing the problem beforehand and solving it on time.
- Documentation: A documentation should be maintained about the working condition of the machine so that it can be updated properly.
- Repair wisely: While repairing the machine spare parts should not be interchanged with its cheaper version.
For the proper maintenance of conveyor system these tips should be kept in mind: Regular oil-checkup, maintain correct voltage and current, adjust the chain take-up, set a regular time for lubrication and tighten the bolts and joint brackets on a regular basis. With all these tips in check, the conveyor system will go for a long run.